We’re looking back today at this wonderful post writer Heather Chastain created for theCityMoms a couple years ago. Her words struck every one of us raising daughter’s in today’s world, and frankly, haven’t left us. Thank you Heather and enjoy…
Dear sweet girl … the first time you were laid into my arms, my heart melted. It was right then and there I knew it was my job to protect you and raise you with the proper tools to go out into the world and conquer it. I hope along the way, despite the mistakes and unintentional ways I may not have always been the mother I dreamed I would be, I have instilled confidence, values and beliefs that will guide you through this world.
Here are 9 things I want my daughter to know:
- You are responsible for your own happiness. Don’t for one second go looking for happiness outside yourself. You will never find it. Look deep inside your heart and find what sets your soul on fire! Find your passion and be happy living your true, authentic self.
- You are beautiful. Every part of you was perfectly, wonderfully made. Don’t let the media or anyone else try to define what is aesthetically pleasing. Your body is your story. Own it.
- You can speak your mind and have a kind heart. It is possible to stand up for yourself and state your opinions without disparaging someone else. Don’t let your powerful mind and your words be a weakness. Remember to speak kindly, loudly and often* (*if necessary!)
- Listening speaks volumes. Too often people listen to respond. They don’t listen to understand. Make sure you understand what you are speaking about/against/to by listening earnestly.
- Take responsibility for your own actions. It’s okay to make mistakes. In fact, mistakes are encouraged if you learn from them! Taking responsibility is one of the most honorable forms of strength and wisdom.
- Nothing is personal. Even when it is. This is a difficult one, but when people act in a hurtful way or try to make you feel insecure, it is about them. Not you. I struggle in this area myself. Everyone is struggling with their own demons. Some just don’t know how to deal with them.
- Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong. People are flawed. Even you, my dear sweet girl. They will make mistakes, as will you. Forgive them. Holding grudges is harmful to your health and can be destructive. Hidden bonus: forgiveness is the greatest gift you can give yourself.
- Never grow complacent. You will find your greatest strengths and successes when you push yourself outside your comfort zone.
- I will always love you. Always. No matter what. I will stand behind you. Support you. You are never alone in this world because of my unwavering love for you.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Heather Chastain is a lover of naps, Nordstrom and necessary pampering, Heather is also a passionate storyteller. The self-proclaimed Queen of Words spent her pre-baby days as a TV news producer. Now a mother of two independent little ladies, Heather’s desire to tell stories has lead her to publish her first children’s book “Caroline Girls” based on her own little Caroline. Baby Kate is proving to have quite a dynamic personality and will likely inspire future stories.